Impulsive is defined as:
- proceeding from natural feeling or impulse without external stimulus; “an impulsive gesture of affection”
- without forethought; “letting him borrow her car was an impulsive act that she immediately regretted”
- driving: having the power of driving or impelling; “a driving personal ambition”; “the driving force was his innate enthusiasm”; “an impulsive force”
- capricious: determined by chance or impulse or whim rather than by necessity or reason; “a capricious refusal”; “authoritarian rulers are frequently capricious”; “the victim of whimsical persecutions”
- hotheaded: characterized by undue haste and lack of thought or deliberation
I wanted the OED definition, but you have to pay for it (Guys, the way to my heart is to buy me the OED dictionary, new edition just came out. Man, I am a geek).
Anyway, the point of this is is that I just had a solicitation to come visit someone who is going to be traveling in Arizona, which is close to where I am in California. But I hesitate. Why? Take cost out of the picture, say the trip were free or that I hd money to burn. Either way, cost not a factor. (considering my main reason for hesitating is cost..ha!) Why do I hesitate? Because I don’t really know this person or because I lack a certain amount of impulsiveness? Or is it because I have boundaries? What causes other people to act on a whim, while yet others are cautious and think before they act?